Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Avoiding the big "C"

When I found out I was pregnant with my first child I was beyond thrilled. The idea of growing the most amazing little human being inside of me was not only surreal but a journey I could not help but want to fully embrace. I took my prenatal vitamins like any good preggo should, tried to exercise through the exhaustion of it all, ate well (unless you count the many pints of Green Tea RiceDream) and got plenty of rest per my OB's request. However after baking my little lady for 40 weeks and 3 days my amazing natural pregnancy was thrown for a loop so large that even magnets couldn't keep me grounded.

On November 23rd, 2010 at 7:30 am I drowsily walked into the hospital for a deemed necessary induction. I remember waddling to the elevator my heart pounding, my husbands sweet reassuring hand slightly squeezing my shoulder. They hooked me up to various "machines that go ping" pumped me with unknown liquids and within an hour my trusty OB walked into the room and delivered terrifying news. "I afraid we cant stabilize the baby and I think it is in the best interest of you and the baby to perform a cesarean..." the words tumbled around in my head like dryer balls "best interest.....best interest... best interest?" Who can argue? What woman is gutsy enough to say "well sorry that's not my plan I'll just wait it out..." I started to cry. My plans of having a natural, beautiful, unmedicated birth had completely slipped from my fingers. It was over.

I was wheeled out of the sterile room down the hall and into the room where birth plans die.
It was not the story for the masses. Yes, moments later my blushy pink little Emma was born. But I cant help but think back on the day and sigh. It wasn't what I dreamed of. It wasn't the experience I wanted to tell my sweet little girl one day. Unless of course I wanted to induce nightmares...

So when I found out that I was pregnant again I swore things would be different. I researched and made phone calls, typed and typed until my poor Mac book looked exhausted, and read every book and online blog about it. This time I was going to go all natural. No waiting rooms with old Parenting magazines.. no more scrubs and unhappy looking receptionists. No more waiting over an hour to see the doctor for a mere 10 minutes. I was going to deliver at a pretty birth center. With cozy bedrooms, warm birthing pools, beautiful pictures of amazing women giving birth and enjoying those first moments with their little ones. That was the place for me.

Sure, it isn't "normal" it isn't "medical" but its natural... and isn't that truly how birth is supposed to be. A bonding between the woman and her child. The chance to truly experience what millions of women before us experienced. The miracle of birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment